My Samuel amazes me. I don't really know how else to describe what I am about to write. He has an amazing love for his big brother. I don't think you really can understand it unless you see it in action. He has more patience, compassion, and endurance for the relentless than I could ever have. When I see the two boys together I see a glimpse into part of God's plan for us!
The boys have always been close. When they were little EVERYONE thought they were twins even though Samuel is two years younger. I dressed them the same and took them everywhere together. Samuel used to look up to Bubs. He copied EVERYTHING he did and followed him like a puppy dog. I have memories of them dressing up in hats to put on shows for us. They watched the same shows, listened to the same music and liked the same books.
Years have passed now. Samuel is now the one that Bubs looks up to. He follows Samuel around. They don't really like the same shows (except for the BRAVES), or the same music. Samuel is a much better reader than Bubs...although Samuel has been known to read to Bubs...but there is a bond there that you couldn't recreate if you tried. Samuel is Bubs protector. He looks out for him in most any situation. He lets him win (sometimes), he lets him watch his own shows (even if it means Samuel has to watch BLUES CLUES for the fiftieth time)! He lets him pick first when they play the WII together. What seven year old kid does that???
Those who have had them in class at church say you don't really have to do anything to help Bubs...Samuel helps him. When the are at a friend's house or with a babysitter...they say Samuel helps to take care of him.
Recently we had an interesting conversation about Bubs starting at Samuel's school next year. This has been an answered prayer for us. I can't tell you how it will make our life easier with both boy's at their home school. Being the skeptic...I have mostly been concerned for Samuel. I know Bubs will transition fine but I was worried Samuel would be overprotective and worried for Bubs during the day since they will be in the same grade. Here's what I found out about it...
Mom... Well Samuel you know the good thing about you both being in school together is I can go on all the field trips with you guys.
Samuel...Why would you go on the field trips??
Mom...Well you know they like me to go with Bubs.
Samuel...Why is that??? Is it because he walks so slow??
Why was I worried?? These boys share something that I can't always understand....I thank God every day for my Samuel and what a wonderfully amazing son, brother and friend he is. I love you Samuel.
1 comment:
I also think that sometimes people overlook Samuel because they're looking out for Bubs. But, it never seems to bother Samuel. He lets Bubs be Bubs; let Bubs get the attention; AND finds joy in that. He is most definitely God's blessing.
Post a Comment