Counting blessings

Counting blessings

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thunderstorms

Many of you know about Bubs fear of thunderstorms. If you have never heard me talk about it...let me explain. Bubs is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms. He can generally sense a good storm coming. He can tell when it gets cloudy and then begins his repetitive questions. "Mom,cloudy?" "Mom,rain?" "Mom,thunder?" We generally respond as honestly as possible...he would get it if we tried to trick him. Then once we answer...he waits about a good minute and starts the questions again. Once the rain/thunder starts he becomes incredibly anxious...we have to hit the bathroom a few times (poor kid...got my nervous stomach!), we have to find Paul the Elephant, he has to find me (usually) and then we have to sit and hold Paul over his face. I try to console him but it never seems to work. If I try to get up and move away from him he cries. If I have to move away he follows me. It really is a pitiful scene. Unless you watch him you wouldn't believe it. And sometimes you just want him to relax and understand it's okay...he is safe here with me.

But here's the thing. I don't think I am much different when there is something that really makes me anxious. When something scares me I ask God a million questions. I want to have answers! Even when God answers I need another response. When my life takes a turn down a somewhat scary path I immediately become sick to my stomach with worry. I try to cover my life with other things in my life that will console me. When those things move away from my life I try to follow. But the truth is...God just wants us to relax and understand it's going to be okay...He has it in control and I am safe with Him here with me.

Matthew 6:25-34

34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow,for tomorrow will be anxious for itself."

No comments: