
It was nine years ago today I first laid eyes on him. He looked like any other baby to me. Of course I wasn't a doctor or nurse...apparently they could tell something was different. Most of you all know the story...we didn't know about his diagnosis until he was almost a week old. Brian and I will never forget those first few days we spent at home with our first child. Life was perfect...all was well with the world. God had done so many wonderful things for us and we were truly thankful. Then when Benjamin was 5 days old we realized things were not as "perfect" as we had thought. A child with a disability...what...how would we handle this...why did our perfect life have to be snatched away so quickly...
Nine years later I have a perfect life. I have three perfect (or as close to perfect as you can be this side of heaven) children and one amazing husband. It's a great life and I am truly thankful for all the wonderful things God has done for us.
One of the biggest things I have learned over nine years is that I am pretty sure that God gave me Benjamin to teach me a little bit more about Himself..I see glimpses of His glory in His life everyday. He has taught me about unconditional love and God's grace...what other kid can be punished one minute and then a minute later give you the biggest bear hug ever and kiss you. What other kid will give up a toy to his brother or sister to keep from hurting their feelings. Life's not always easy with a kid with special needs. But what other kid can so easily forget and forgive me when I become frustrated! He has taught me to value every life made by our Creator...I always believed in the sanctity of life, but when I look at Benjamin I am reminded that he was "knitted together in my womb" perfectly. Just as he was supposed to be...no mistakes! I have learned that God doesn't want us to be concerned with material things. I have never met a kid that is completely happy with a book and a couple of matchbox cars. I have learned to laugh more...the kid is funny! His laugh is contagious and you will not resist his smile. He loves to be silly. I am pretty sure we will be laughing in Heaven...I think I need to do more here on Earth. He has taught me that it is sometimes better to listen than to talk. It breaks my heart most days that Bubs has such a drastic speech impairment...but you can learn a lot about others and you can better hear your Heavenly Father by being still and just listening.
So...Happy Birthday to my sweet Bubs...I know you will continue to be a shining example of your Creator's glory.
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Benjamin!
Post a Comment