

Last weekend was our annual Buddy Walk. I am sure most of you who know us know that the Buddy Walk is a walk to raise awareness and support for those with Down Syndrome. This is something that our family has done every year and will continue to make it a tradition. It is always amazing to see just how Benjamin "fits" in there. God really did make those with that extra chromosome very similar and as he grows older I know he will really like being with folks that are just as special as he is. It's also good for Samuel and Gracie to meet other siblings who have "special" brothers and/or sisters. One day these kids might become friends and can be some kids they can really relate to. Right now, if you were to ask Samuel he could tell you that Benjamin has Down Syndrome. I wouldn't say he truly understands what that means but he knows that Benjamin might take a little longer to learn to do all the things that Samuel can learn very easily. This year on the way to the walk he asked us how long Benjamin was going to have Down Syndrome. We told him that he would have it all his life. His response was "Oh". Like I said...he loves Benjamin unconditionally, my hope and prayer is that it stays that way.

Anyway...back to the walk. This year (and last year) it was at the University of Richmond. It is a beautiful place to be. There are beautiful buildings and landscape and a wonderful lake. I wouldn't say it is the best choice for the walk. The sidewalks are too narrow and the kids have trouble walking the long distance. But other than that it was a great time. They had a bounce house which was the highlight for the boys. I think they stayed in there for most of the entire time. Spiderman and Dora was there. Samuel only likes to look at those folks but Benjamin was happy to let Spiderman try to teach him how to shoot webs. (The kid doesn't have any fear of strangers I suppose!) Brian and I were able to catch up with some friends of ours who have children with Down Syndrome which was nice. It is always great to share your triumphs, struggles,and fears with other folks who understand exactly what you are going through. And...Gracie, well, she went along for the ride just like always...running around and having a good time just being with us!

After the walk was finished we had to come home and rest up for our very first campout/sleepover. We had made plans with some friends of ours to come over to their house and the boys would campout in the backyard and the girls would have a sleepover inside. I cannot tell you just how excited the boys were to get there. They had their sleeping bags laying out in the family room for most of the day and their flashlights were ready. When we got there they headed outdoors and stayed there except to go to the bathroom and change their clothes. They wanted this to be as authenic as possible. They cooked hot dogs over the fire (Bubby of course had some yogurt and chips) and made some smores for dessert (if you ask Samuel I think he would tell you that was his favorite part). When bedtime came we got them all bundled up and ready for the night and then the boys went outside to camp. Our friends let us share their eight man tent so there was plenty of room. Benjamin fell asleep pretty quickly but Samuel was a little scared. I was wondering if he would make it out there because he is afraid of the dark when are at home but I was pleasantly surprised that he was brave enought to tough it out. I think at one point he heard someone's radio and the bass sounded like "someone going up their stairs." Brian volunteered to let him hold his hand and I suppose that gave him enough courage to fall asleep. Once in the middle of the night Brian said he was awakened by Samuel's whisper "hold your hand." But other than that and waking up occasionally to put Bubby back in the covers I think it went pretty well. As for Gracie and I we slept inside
for our first sleepover together and we did the typical girl stuff...just no pillow fights quite yet!
for our first sleepover together and we did the typical girl stuff...just no pillow fights quite yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment