Counting blessings

Counting blessings

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Mother's Day Mom.






Well...here comes another Mother's Day. I am so thankful to be a mom! I REALLY mean that. I think I have always been a "mom in training." I have sort of lived to be a mom I guess you would say. I remember always having baby dolls and lots of them. Gracie now has about 12 babies and that might just have me beat...but I know I was always mothering a baby. I mothered all our cats growing up. I mothered Brian before we had kids. But, I am not saying I am always the best mom. You can ask my kids that one! I make many mistakes... but I have never been more thankful for a blessing from God (except for my husband!) than when I had each of my three children. They truly are a special gift and even on the worst days I am truly amazed that they were given to me.

I guess before I had my own kids I dreaded mother's day. Mom died 24 years ago this month. She was in the hospital for her very last mother's day. I still have that card we gave her that day. It's still hard sometimes. I think that almost daily I think of a question I would have liked to ask her. At 15 there isn't really much about life that you don't think you already know. I wasn't really thinking about things to ask her then.

I wish she could met my husband. She would have thought he was really good man. I know she would have gotten his humor (or at least tolerated it)!

She would have loved Bubs. I think he would have loved her too. She wasn't loud or boisterous...he would like that about her...I think she might know about Bubs right now...sometimes I wish I had her to talk to about my struggles with him and to call when he blows me away with just being himself!

I wish she could have met Samuel...he asks about her picture a lot and asks me questions about my childhood. I don't always have the answer and wish she was here to tell him stories about me. I wish we could call her when he scores a goal or when he gets all E's on his report card. I wish she could see those things.

Gracie is a lot like me as a child. I think she would have found it very funny that I have a girl who can run me in circles just the way I did with her. She would have found her just as adorable as we all do ( and just as exhausting...) One thing I am SO looking forward to is sharing life with Gracie and hoping that I get that chance.

One day when we get to meet again, there's a lot I want to tell her. We won't know until we meet our maker if it's gonna be possible to have those types of conversations. But I KNOW that Jesus loved his mother and I would like to think He would understand that I would want recognize my mom and be able to say...."Happy Mother's Day MOM!"

4 comments:

Jef Peeples said...

I feel I knew her parenting well after going through twenty-one years with her. She loves our families and our spouses from afar. There is no doubt about that. You are her spitting image in your own motherhood.

Beverly said...

Very very sweet and touching. Thanks for sharing, my dear friend.

Beth said...

Happy Mother's Day, Leigh Ann. Beautiful post. Love seeing the picture of your mom.

Squid said...

Very Sweet. Thanks for being honest and sharing your true feelings. The Kamans are blessed because of you.
~Ryan