are a part of life. I think that facing realities are not of our own control. Well...you know I know that my life is not in my control. It's by God's gracious hand that my life has been shaped...but you know I think when we face a true reality in our worldly life it is through the Holy Spirit's conversations with us. You know I know we face some realties of our life that aren't life changing...like the reality that I am not a runner...I have tried to be a runner but the honest truth is that although I don't mind exercising I really don't have an interest in running. Another reality that is not that earth shaking that I have learned in my life is that I am a picky eater. I try to blame my pickiness on lots of things...but the reality is I am JUST PLAIN PICKY...and I think somehow I like being picky.
SO...enough about these trivial realities. My thoughts are more serious than that! Lately my reality is about Benjamin. Here's the reality. He's eight. He has Down Syndrome. He was created differently. AND...what am I doing to help to foster his differences. He is mainstreamed in a typical classroom at school and church. He plays with typical friends. We treat him just like our other two children. I have always been proud of that about our family. BUT...I think it's time we celebrate the differences that God gave him. I will say that all the differences are not worth celebrating some days. Some days it just plain stinks. But...heres' the thing...he needs to find some friends he can relate to, he needs to find his place, and I need to help him to do that. I need to be more involved with the disability community. I haven't done that much because I think it is hard to be a part of a group when Christ is not your focus. So the final conclusion is that the body of Christ must be more involved in the disability community.
I know I have been feeling God's call to reach out in our community to those who are disabled in some way and to their families. Some families may be hurting...some families may be longing for a friendship from someone who can relate to them...some may be looking for Christ. I truly believe I was given this path for a reason. God didn't put Benjamin here by accident. It's time to face that reality. What does He want me to do now? I am praying for that very thing right now...more to come.
2 comments:
Wow....what a powerful words. As a friend and reader, I almost want to hear the asnwer rightr now. Isn't it true we hate waiting on God's timing? My inital reaction when reading this is "How do you celebrate the differences God gave him?" I can see you as a leader. He probablty led you to Richmond for Bubs too and not only Brian's job. God's Peace and Love to you as you pray seeking HIS wisdom. RWB
Can't wait to see how the Lord uses you! Love ya!
Post a Comment