Life with a kid with special needs is indeed a special life. Bubs brings joy to most everyone who he is around. You cannot resist his smile, his laugh is contagious and his hugs are unbreakable. BUT...things aren't always easy. I have finally gotten that!
So every year we go to get his blood drawn for a yearly check for thyroid problems and leukemia. He HATES it! I cannot tell you how bad this kid HATES doctors. I would relate his fear to my fear of dying from cancer. NO JOKE. It paralyzes the kid. Fortunately the dentist, doctor, and eye doctor are used to working with my kid. If not...they would probably run when they see his name on their schedule. Well since we have lived here this whole blood thing has been a nightmare. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I tell them that he is going to hate the whole process they don't believe me. I mean it takes work to even get him in the room to draw his blood. I dread this every year because I know how badly it works him up.
So...I was hopeful this time things would be a little better for him. He is a year older. BUT...same scenario...the minute he sees the hospital he knows. We walk in and immediately have to find a bathroom for him to do both number one and two. I know that we will need to remember where the bathroom is so we can visit it a couple more times. He shivers, his heart beats fast, his hands are clammy. I just sit and hold him and try to whisper " I Love you!" He's such a quiet kid.. he doesn't scream, yell or draw too much attention to himself that way...but he does look pitiful. It's apparent to anyone around that something is "different" about this kid. Most kids his age don't have to carried to just get off the floor or the chair.
Thanks to my wonderful pediatrician I was hopeful that the actual blood draw would be better this time. He did so much research for me. He found one lady down at MCV hospital that has been drawing peds blood for 15 years! He told me how to find her and I was praying for a miracle.
We get to the lab and have to wait for this lady to come from another floor. Poor Bubs...we had to hit the bathroom in the lab again for the third time! He wouldn't sit down. He knew what was up now. He was a shriveled up mess on the floor of the lab. UGH...the germs that must be down on that floor!!! The anxiety was getting bad! Now...everyone is noticing that I am trying to just get him to move out of the doorway. He is shaking and saying something that sounds like "I scared." But most people would not understand his "code." Finally she gets there. She was a miracle worker. She stayed calm, relaxed, and quiet. She got her things ready. Told me to pin him down and in less than two minutes of screaming and yelling, she had his blood. She was even talented enough to shut the door while she held the needle in his arm. Probably a good idea that the rest of the patients not really hear what was happening.
She was wonderful to me. Bubs wasn't really as impressed with her skill but glad we were done and we could get out of this place. I made sure to tell her we would be back again next year.
So we headed for the door as fast we could after one last bathroom stop...and we were done.
Both mom and Bubs glad that we survived yet another trip to a doctor.
So this is life. Like I said...life with Bubs is special. Special but not always easy. I have gotten used to the looks and I understand them. I would probably watch too. It's a different life...but for now...I am just incredibly thankful for the lady at MCV. She doesn't know how much I appreciated her.
No comments:
Post a Comment