Counting blessings

Counting blessings

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year's thoughts

I have never been one to make New Year's Resolutions. Quite frankly I learned early on that resolutions were only to be broken. Resolving to exercise more, eat more healthy, or spend money more wisely always tends to discourage me when in March I realize that the resolution has fallen by the wayside. So this year my resolutions have become just thoughts.

My thoughts recently have tried to be more "eternally" focused. I feel like I live my life in this little bubble of "christiandom" and rarely see or have a heart for those who are beyond this circle. As I think of the life of Christ I realize this isn't how he lived at all. The one who ate with the tax collectors and mingled with the prostitutes...doesn't he want more from us?? I know that I cannot subject my kids to danger but something happened this past Sunday that made me start to think...

Waiting at the light to enter a restaurant to eat our Sunday lunch, we had the opportunity to watch a homeless man beg for money. WOW...my kids had not to my knowledge ever been that close to poverty. Samuel had a multitude of questions (as he always does). He wanted to know what he wanted, what he planned to do with the money, why he couldn't just get a job, did he have a house. Thankfully he never asked why we didn't give him any money. But I asked myself and Brian that question and more. Why didn't we give him money? Were we scared how he would spend it? Were we scared to talk to him? Were we embarrassed? It made me think about this. We tell the kids all the time about the folks who don't have what they have. Now they see it and we pray for the light to turn green so we can drive away.

So...the thought for me this year is to really reach out of this "bubble" I live in. I want my kids to see others who don't have the things they have, to see those who hurt, to see those who need us, to see those who need Jesus...and then see their family as one that is willing to step out and try to reach, help, support, and encourage these folks. So I can only pray that these thoughts lasts longer than March...I pray it lasts our lifetime.



Matt 22:37-39 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'This is the first and greatest commandment.And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

3 comments:

Katie said...

good thoughts, Leigh Ann. Thanks for sharing!

Squid said...

Nice ideas...your words speak truth to me as well. As far as the homeless man is concerned, I hope you might re-consider next time. Your kids can see you walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Working off N. Druit Hills, I am almost always stopped at the light coming off I-85. On occasion, there is a homeless man asking for a handout. In those instances, I have never given anything since I am thinking the same thing you think. I think I am afraid of how he might spend it. I have given homeless men money before, but I have always wanted to say something to the effect of, "I'm about to go into MacDonals, May I bring you out a meal to eat?" or even better, "Would you like to join me?" That would take courage only the Lord can provide.

A few weeks ago, myself and members of Parkview went into downtown Atlanta and fed the homeless breakfast. That was a humbling experience since I hadn't done it since my college days. It was a dark, cold morning and it was raining. The men were already standing by the door upon arrival. 95% were nice, polite, and thankful for the food we served them at their table. They were understanding when (asking for seconds) were told theres no more food.

Blessings to you, Brian, and the kids and may HE remind sinners like you and I of HIS blessings and how to reach out to others without thinking of ourselves and our comfort level first.

RWB

Beverly said...

Thanks for your encouragement in this. We can hold each other accountable. Great blog!!!