Counting blessings

Counting blessings

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas Time is Here...

Wow...so it has been a while since my last post. But...we have been busy with holiday happenings. The month seems to have flown by so quickly that I should have written down all the fun things we did everyday so I wouldn't forget but I will try to recap just a few here.


Our Christmas Eve was spent for the third time with some very close friends of ours. We always share some good gumbo together and then have a birthday party for Jesus with the kids. I would say that is a highlight for the boys. Samuel especially has become an expert at telling the first Christmas story and thankfully seems to understand the real reason behind why we celebrate Christmas. Our time with them is always fun but this year seemed to be even more fun for Brian and I because it seemed to have marked one of the first times that all three kids stayed entertained enough for us to have some sort of conversation with adults.


After the dinner we headed to church for the Christmas Eve service. We knew Gracie would not make it very far and decided to swap off watching her in the foryer while the other one of us sat with the boys. Gracie was glad for that decision and found a little playmate in the hall who had her fascination for Elmo...but since Gracie does not yet understand sharing we spent most of the night reminding her that it was NOT "her Elmo." I am pretty sure the boys were not very excited about sitting through a long church service, but sat quietly for the most part. Except for Samuel's comments every now and again that he was bored and didn't really know what to do. Communion for Samuel did bring some excitement (as well as confusion). He was baffled that bread really looks like crackers, and really could not begin to understand how all this is Jesus' body. But..we know that even for us this is something that only through the grace of God we can begin to understand.


Christmas Eve night for us was exciting. Benjamin and Samuel have been counting down the days until Santa comes for the entire month so knowing he was coming that night was pretty exhilirating for them. We put out the cookies and candy. Samuel (the sensitive little guy that he is) was mainly concerned that Santa would hurt himself when he fell on the logs in the fireplace and he might get a tummy ache if he ate some sort of cookies and candy at each house. He also wonders how Santa really has time to get to everyone's house in just one night. But...since I figure that we might not have that many more years that Samuel really believes I try to savor every minute of his innonence and play along with the story as much as I can. They really went to bed easier than I expected but I have a feeling they both were trying to listen for the sound of jingling bells on the rooftop.




No comments: