Counting blessings

Counting blessings

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A new season


Well...it's official...Gracie is finished with naps. So everyday unless someone is sick there is not a child/or parent usually here in this house that is sleeping. It's bittersweet. It's nice to be able to go places and do things and to not be hampered by getting home in time for a nap. But I have such wonderful memories of the precious nap time. It reminds me of when my kids were babies...now it's seeming like those days are getting farther and farther from me. It makes me sad when I think back to when the boys were both little running around in diapers together when we lived in our house on Alpine Drive. I will still remember those days when they stood together in front of the TV screen watching Blues Clues and dancing together. When we would dress up together and sit for hours in the playroom doing puzzles and building with blocks. I remember just a couple of years ago when my baby girl was so tiny. She was never the easiest of babies but there still is some part of her babyhood I long to have back. She still has that pacy at night and carries her blankie. I think I hang on to that so I can hang on to a little bit of her babyness.

There are some things I like about my older kids. They are independent, funny, and thoughtful. They are able to carry on a conversation (for the most part) with me. They can make me laugh in different ways than they did when they were little. They help out with chores. I know there is a lot more to look forward to in the next few years. Instead of Blues Clues...it's baseball. Instead of tiny pink booties...it's hot pink dresses. There isn't anything not to love about it...it's just remembering every day what a blessing it is to have that day to be a part of their lives.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
Ecclesiastes 3:1-3

2 comments:

Katie said...

I forget how old Gracie is. 3, right? When will she be 4?

Counting blessings said...

she will be 4 in August...Samuel dropped his nap at 3 too...makes bedtime MUCH easier now!