Counting blessings

Counting blessings

Friday, July 16, 2010

Bubs swimming lessons


I believe in MORGAN SWIM SCHOOL!

For those of you not from Richmond you probably have no idea what I am talking about. It's the boot camp of swim lessons. They don't believe in using any type of flotation devices, kickboards, noodles, etc. We had heard of them through the Down Syndrome Society and we knew they were pretty successful! You cannot stay with your child so I have hesitated up until now for fear of the hysterics that might be involved with our decision.

BUT...the time came we felt Benjamin needed us to pull out the big guns! He's had two rounds of your average swim lessons but still had not learned to swim...or to be safe in the water. Now...the kid LOVES the water and always has...but I need to feel like I could trust him not to drown himself!

So...yesterday was his fourth lesson. I have nothing but good things to say! He can now float on his back (got a ribbon for that already!) and will put his head in the water for 5 seconds and can jump in and "swim" to the side of the pool. I am impressed. How did she teach him to hold his breath?? I have been trying to do that for four years now. I have no idea how they did it (you cannot stay for the lesson!) but I am a believer. He is so much more confident in the pool now. Sometimes I think we underestimate this kid!

The thing that is even better than him holding his breath and "swimming" is that he is so proud of himself. I think he likes having something he does that is "all his own." He talks about it all night long! He demonstrates even out of the water how he has "rocket" arms and can lay like a soldier! It's one of the cutest thing to watch! I think he has made his brother and sister jealous of him, and for once I think that is a good thing! He needs his time to SHINE!

We have four more lessons left and then we will see how far he's come...but I think it's been a success even if he doesn't have the best strokes or dives...it's been a lesson for the rest of us!

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Yea, Benjamin! We are proud of you. :-)

Katie said...

Go Benjamin!!