Counting blessings

Counting blessings

Friday, January 22, 2010

Bedtime Conversations

I love putting my children to bed. Now...don't laugh. Don't get me wrong. I do love the uninterrupted quietness that bedtime brings. But...I do love spending that time with them in a quiet relaxing atmosphere. I love that time with all my children but I think my most favorite time right now is with my Samuel. He really has blossomed since going to Kindergarten this year. We are so thankful that God led us to make that decision. It has been an AWESOME year for him.

The thing I love about our bedtime conversations is he tells me exactly what goes on in his life during the day when I am not there. I am sure he leaves some of it out but for now I feel privileged to be able to share in his life.

If you know Samuel you know he has always been quiet and shy. Well...lately he has been on a quest to increase the number of friends he has at school. I think somewhere along the line he realized that some of the kids had more friends than he did. Also..I think his best buddy was out for a couple of days recently and he suddenly realized he needed to have some back up plans for that. AND...his other really good friend just moved. That loss brought him to tears (and almost mom too). Well..here is what he told me last night.


He told me that he does have his one best friend Will and you know he IS his best friend. But, he always wants to play the same games everyday when we go outside. His friend Aidan that just moved always played Star Wars and that was what he liked to play. Just once he wanted Will to let him play something different or with someone else. He said, " I mean...he is still my best friend. I can tell him that!" So...I told him how he could tell Will that he wanted to play something new...that he could still tell him to come along and play with the new friends. He sat very quietly and then began to whisper his conversation to Will. Almost exactly like I told him.
Then he paused...and asked "Is it going to be cold tomorrow? Is it going to rain?" I told him I did think it might be going to rain. Then he breathed really deep and said, " Well...I guess I won't have to tell him that tomorrow!" I got the biggest smile on my face. I just LOVE that kid!